Aa
A
A
A
Close
Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6.42k Members

Could Depo-Provera affect a pregnancy ??

I'm 17 and have been on the Depo-Provera shot for 2 years now . I had a shot in August 2013 and was due for my next shot in November but I didn't get it . During March of this year I was off Depo for 4 to 5 months but proceeded to have unprotected sex with my boyfriend . In late March I got spotting and light bleeding which I thought was my period but it continued on and off for a month and I then decided to get my Depo shot again between late April and early May . I just got light bleeding again now in June so I'm guessing its not a period . I also have been experiencing nausea , dizziness , fatigue , headaches and chronic back pain . I wonder could I be pregnant ?? And if I am will the Depo-Provera badly affect the baby ?? I'm also a smoker with a bad caffeine addiction and I occasionally smoke weed , could all this have affected the baby ?? And if I turn out to be pregnant is there any way of knowing if the baby is deformed or anything ??
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
HI,
You have been on dpeo irregularly and now you have symptoms suggestive of a pregnancy. Hence you should take a home pregnancy test or blood test for beta HCG to find out. Smoking, weed and caffeine addiction can affect the baby. It is difficult to find out affection of the baby. An ultrasound scan will give some indication of foetal abnormality. Consult a Doctor for an evaluation. Hope this helps.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.