Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Depo-Provera

I just got a shot of depo-provera birth control 3 days ago and my period was supposed to start yesterday and it hasn't. I am sexually active and the last time I had sex was on my period last month and we used condoms but I wasn't on birth control and my partner did not go all the way. I just went to the GYN and got my annual pelvic exam and my first shot of depo and so far everything has been okay. However, once I didn't get my period I started to worry and I took a pregnancy test just in case and it did come out negative. But I'm still freaking out since I am only 18 and really do not want to be pregnant. So is it normal to be late for your period after getting the shot? or should I take another test? Thanks.
Hi there,
Depo vera contraceptive suppresses ovulation. It can also reduce menstrual bleeding and stop it completely. Delay in periods can be due to several other causes other than pregnancy. Stress, anxiety, too much of exercise, weight gain/loss all can cause irregular periods. Other causes of irregular periods are hormonal imbalances, thyroid dysfunction, ovulation disorders etc. A clinical examination and work up is very important for correct diagnosis and management of your condition. See a gynecologist. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Agreed. I even missed periods when I was in the throes of my addiction to opiates (heroin). A lot of people don't know that it can stop the menstrual cycle. That may be why everything is all messed up now. For instance, I had hypothyroidism while on the Depo but now have hyperthyroidism now that I'm off of it and no longer using (My anniversary date is 10/2011).
I never had a period when on the shot. I thought that was the whole point of getting the shot...that and you only need it 4x per month. You may want to research something before injecting it into your body. It's quite common to not have periods with the Depo shot, dear.