Aa
A
A
A
Close
Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6.43k Members

Depo and birth defects

I got my depo on 10/18 and they did a pregnancy test before hand and it came back neg. I started having pregnancy symptoms on 11/20 I went to plan parenthood omn 11/25 and they said I am preg. Is there anything proven to say that while being on the depo and being preg will cause birth defects?
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello there,
It is unusual to get pregnant while taking Depo-Provera regularly, but pregnancies might occur before the shot is given and may go unrecognized . Depo-Provera should not be used during pregnancy.In women being exposed to Depo vera in early pregnancy there is  little or no increased risk of birth defects .You may need regular follow ups and monitoring .Discuss it with your doctor. She knows your medical records best. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best regards!
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.