Birth Control (Contraception) Forum

Depo provera and antibiotics.

I am getting my wisdom teeth out and the oral surgeon is giving me an IV of antibiotics to help with the healing after surgery. I am on the Depo Provera birth control shot and I had heard that antibiotics can effect birth control before. Is this true? Should I use a back-up form of birth control, and if so, for how long?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that most of the common antibiotics DO NOT interfere with contraception and should not alter the effectiveness of your depo. It is never wrong to use a back up method, and condoms also protect against STIs, but you don't need to be overly concerned.
Good luck!
Dr B