Aa
A
A
A
Close
Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6.47k Members

Depression/Anxiety after stopping birth control

I was on Yaz for probably 4 years and slowly over time I noticed my symptoms would get worse. The biggest thing I noticed was my depleting sex drive and becoming extremely emotional, especially a week or so before my period. Last week I had a nervous breakdown that seemed to come out of nowhere and I got drunk and cut myself. I do have a history of self harm because I did it in Grade 8 but that was almost 8 years ago. Since that night I've sought help through a therapist and we've been working through things slowly. However from reading things online it appears that Yaz may be to blame for all of this... I really started to dislike becoming so emotional while on the pill so I made the decision to come off of it almost a month ago. So is it possible that the change in hormones has caused this severe anxiety and depression? I am naturally a little anxious and emotional myself and my life certainly hasn't been without traumatic experiences but I really can't understand why after 8 years I would return to an awful habit that I believed I conquered. Please I'm dying to know anyone's opinion or medical advice on this topic. Since that night I've had several emotional breakdowns and while I think I'm getting better it's hard to feel hopeful that I will return to my normal self. Anything you can contribute would be so helpful.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.