Aa
A
A
A
Close
Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6.43k Members

Fluconazole 150 mg and the pill

I was prescribed fluconazole 150 mg for a yeast infection (2 pills). Took the first one a week a ago and the second three days later (4 days ago). Will this have any affect on the effectiveness of hormonal birth control (the pill) ?
1 Responses
5660397 tn?1373810396
It can decrease the efficacy of hormonal contraceptives like birth control pills. What pill are you on specifically? I'm going to GUESS (don't take this as what to do) you'll need to use backup protection for 7 days. Check your prescription info, call your pharmacist, or I can help you find out if I know what pill it is. Personally, I used both condoms and either VCF or Today sponges in situations such as yours before I had my tubal sterilization. I have a severe latex allergy (I go into anaphylactic shock) and the first non-latex condoms that weren't lambskin were like little condom shaped plastic baggies, lol. 9/10 times they broke. I have condom trust issues because of them. (They're improved so much now.)

Generally, you should wait a minimum of 72 hours after your LAST dose. Personally, I would wait a week and that's what I've been told when I've been prescribed it. If your yeast infection isn't completely cleared, you can pass it to your partner (assuming you have one since you're wondering about BCP efficacy) and then it becomes back and forth sharing, you keep getting it over and over until dots are connected to treat your partner.

Hope that was some help! :)
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.