Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Going Off Depo Provera

Hi I have been off the Depo Shot for about 3mnths now... i decided to not go on any other birth control for awhile. What are the side effects of coming off the Depo Provera and is it ok to not be on any birthcontrol at all for awhile??
If you don't use any birth control and are sexually active, you may find yourself pregnant.  If that's what you intend, then...great.

Be aware it could take upwards of a year or more to get your period back after stopping Depo.  Most times it doesn't take that long, but often it does.  

Until you get your period back, if you are sexually active and not using birth control, you'll have to test for pregnancy once a month.  This is very important, to be sure you are aware of an early pregnancy so that it can be dated appropriately and so that you can begin prenatal care.
If you came off of the depo provera , theres no side effects when you come off of it but you may get your period back. I went off of the depo provera for 3 yrs ago and it took another 3 yrs. to get pregnant. Anyway if you intent to get pregnant thats great but if you dont want to get pregnant use condoms and spermicdle
I had no problems besides some break thru bleeding after i discontinued depo
I had not been having periods with it but i did NOT have a heavy period or anything after it. I was on it for 4 years.

Good luck and definitely use another form of birth control if you dont want to get preggy
I had some severe spotting and sore breasts.