Going off of birth control

Last year there was a mishap in the pharmacy and I received the wrong birth control with a higher dose or hormone. It wreaked havoc on my body for a few months before we caught what happened. When I was able to get back on the right medication my body never really went back to 'normal'. About six weeks ago I thought I might be pregnant. I was suffering from severe nausea, breast tenderness, exhaustion, body aches, and occasional spotting. Pregnancy tests were negative. After weeks of feeling like I was actually dying the doctor finally suggested I stop taking birth control for a few weeks to help my body readjust itself. I've been off of the pill for a few days and already feel much better, kind of like I'm coming out of a fog. This experience has led me to do some research on the effects of the pill (which no one talks to you about until you start having issues) and there are some crazy scary things that it does to your body. How long before my body can return to its 'normal' functioning? I went on BC 5 years ago for endometriosis. Will the pain associated with endometriosis return after going off of the pill? What are ways to manage it without using synthetic hormones? My doctor won't discuss other options with me. She says what I was on was the most effective. But I have to stop taking the pill eventually if I want to have kids. It's not meant to be on for a lifetime.

You are reading content posted in the Birth Control (Contraception) Community