Aa
A
A
A
Close
Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6.42k Members

How to I get depo provera OUT of my system?

I had my son on Feb 23, 2014, and received a shot of depo provera the next day. The nurse asked if I wanted it, and did not explain the drug to me at all, just that it is an effective form of birth control. Me being stupid did not ask questions, and got it. The side effects were horrible so I decided I would never get another shot again. I have not been sexually active since then because of the horrible bleeding. At first I thought it was just from giving birth, but it has gone on for over 3 months now and it is getting heavier. It is not a period because it is consistent, and there are no cramps or anything. Is there a way to accelerate it getting out of my system so I will stop bleeding?

As well, I believe that this shot should NOT have been administered when it was....I was unable to breastfeed my son because I had milk for a week and it randomly went away one morning, and I could not feed him and had to switch to formula. I kept trying to feed and pump and it was absolutely gone.
1 Responses
I'm fairly certain that you're going to have to wait for it to wear off, which I believe is about three months as I think that's when a new shot is due.  I would go to the doctor about the bleeding and see if there's anything they can give you to help slow that down.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.