Birth Control (Contraception) Community

IUD

I had an IUD placed in around the end of March of this year and I have always had a period and this month is almost over and my period still haven't came on yet. For the past two weeks I have been sick, my breast have been so sore that I can't even touch them, I have been sleeping every chance I get and, it feel like little butterfly's in my stomach. I went to the ER two nights ago and when he did my exam he couldn't feel my strings from the IUD so he did a pap smear and he said that my strings are very short and that I will have to go see my doctor and I asked for if he could do a pregnancy test just to make sure that I'm not pregnant but he wouldn't. I think that I'm pregnant but I can't get a appointment with my doctor until 2 weeks from now what should I do?
These can be the symptoms of pregnancy. If you miss your periods then you can test 1 week- 10 days after you miss your periods or you can test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests. The HCG (it is a hormone) levels rise only in pregnancy and its presence will confirm the status of your pregnancy. If you are pregnant then the IUD has to be taken out immediately.

I hope it helps. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Just wanted to say the possibility of becoming pregnant with an iud is still there. I had mine for about 5 months. It started falling out which I was not aware of which is why I got pregnant. If its a copper iud the positioning is very important. If its not exactly where it needs to be you can end up pregnant.