Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Mirena IUD over 5 years

Hi, I have the IUD Mirena. I am fast approaching the 5 year anniversary (April 2012) and know it needs to be removed. Here's the problem. I no longer have health insurance. I am curious if there are complications or side effects if I leave it in longer. I am eligible for insurance with my place of work in November 2012, so it would be another 6 months minimum. Another option I have looked in to is self removal. However much of what I have read on that is from women who have had it placed for a short time, i.e. not the full 5 years. Could someone please tell me any problems or side effects from either leaving it in for longer or possibly removing it myself...Thank you!
Please do not remove the IUD yourself and get it removed from your doctor. Although efficacy of the IUD decreases after continuously keeping it for such a time, it may cause pelvic inflammatory disorder, amenorrhea, irregular bleeding, weight gain and sometimes unwanted pregnancy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.