Birth Control (Contraception) Forum

Morning After Pill Efficiency

I had unprotected sex and took a Levonelle 1500mg within 12 hours. However it seems that the efficiency of this pill is down to whereabouts in the cycle it is taken. My periods are very irregular and therefore I have no way of knowing what part of my cycle I was at, nor when my next period is due. What are the chances that the morning after pill will be unsuccessful and should I take my prescribed birth control (Gedrel 30/150) for the next few days to maximise efficiency?  
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that the morning after pill is fairly effective if taken before ovulation and within 48 hours of intercourse.  Since you don't know whether or not you would have ovulated on this cycle yet, it is difficult to give you a  number as far as effectiveness goes.  Also, if you regularly take birth control pills, I would advise you to continue with them.  If you are not already taking them, I would probably not start at this point, as then things could become very confusing.  I WOULD recommend that you use a back up method of birth control if you are not using pills.
Hope this helps!
Dr B