Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Spotting and pain with copper IUD

I had a mini cooper IUD fitted a week ago as emergency contraceptive (yes, made a stupid idiotic mistake!). I know I'm not pregnant now so I want it out of me asap.

The thing is I'm so scared that it's embedded and they won't be able to remove it. It's been in a week and upon insertion I had some big purple globs of blood and pink discharge ever since. I also have a constant feeling of discomfort in my uterus, like a pinching or pricking, and sometimes mild cramping.

I don't know if this is normal for the copper coil a week in. Does anyone know?
Its pretty normal to have those symptoms. I have Skyla and for the first couple weeks it was terrible but you have to realize you put a foreign object in your body so it takes time to get used to it. Its highly unlikely that its embedded after a week. You should be able to go to your gyno and she will be able to remove it as quickly as she put it in! However food for though, I LOVE my IUD, I'm about 4 months in and boy has it been rough, but this month my body is finally starting to get used to it and my periods aren't as bad nor the cramping and the spotting stopped as well. Everyone has a different reaction though. Best of luck!