Birth Control (Contraception) Forum

pregnancy and periods after depo

Was on depo for 8+yrs came off but didn't get period for 3 1/2 months after it should of wore off. Just got 1st period in yrs and worried because it was abnormal.  Extremely light but dark brown. Also day 3 just spotting no flow but now cramps so extreme.  If it's stopping why would cramps get worse! I'm trying to get pregnant and I'm worried I'm going to have a difficult time because of taking depo for so long.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that the effects of depo provera can last for up to 18 months, so "abnormal" periods for up to that long can be normal.  I would suggest that you start doing ovulation predictors once you have a normal period and if you are not ovulating regularly, you could start a medication like Clomid to overcome the after effects of the depo.
Also, you should take lots of vit D and calcium--depo can cause thining of the bone, but that is reversible when you stop it.
Good luck!
Dr B
Ive been getting cramps and been spewing in the morning my nipples are sore i went and had a pregnacey test its came back negitive as me and my boy friend had un save sex about two weeks ago had my period for 3 days whats wrong?