Birth Control (Contraception) Community

the mirena

they said that you don't put weight on with the mirena but i beg to differ, i gained over 30bls. on it like i was shot with steriods. and i didnt have a poriod for over 2 years. i took it out because i developed real bad migrain headaches also so i had it removed injune 2008. will i get pregnant soon???
30 lbs over 2 years isnt super fast, I would think its more of a life style change rather than from mirena. I dont have personal experience with this one myself so I dont know how quick it takes to wear off. I know most pills if you take them for a year or so the drug stays in your body for a couple months but thats doesnt mean you CANT still get preggo.
I hear you can get pregnant right after its removed. I already am having bad side effects and had it put in a week ago. Hope I don't gain weight as I just had a baby 2 months ago and have not lost the 80 pounds I gained yet. I'll be really big then......
i've had the mirena iud for almost 4 months now. i've gained no weight whatsoever, not pregnant and i'm still having the irregular spotting and bleeding but i knew i was in for that for 6-12 months and no cramps. did your doctors go over the side affects with you when you asked about the mirena? my ob and i had been discussing my b/c options since i was aprox. 24-25 weeks pregnant with my twins. we decided that the mirena was the best option for me seeing as how i freak out at the sight of needles, i'm horrible with remembering to take pills (my dh and to remind me everyday to take my prenatals and iron and when i was on the pill prior to the mirena he had to remind me to take that as well).

i absolutely love my mirena.
He never went over a single thing with me. Ididn't even know you had to check for the strings. They were there the first 2 days but off to the side of my yah-hoo. Is that normal? Now I cannot find them. Effects are getting worse by the day and they were out of the office again today. I was originally going to get my tubes tied. They even called me after I had him and asked if the did a tubal on me after my c-section. How am I supposed to know- some people! Supposedly they didn't they finally figured out 5 days later..... hmmmm. I might not even need the IUD.
my strings never stay in one spot. after the dh and i do the nasty they're usually pushed up to the back, sometimes they move to the sides.

your ob didn't tell you one thing??? that's not good. you should report him. that's neglect. if you can't find the strings at all call your ob asap!!! that's not good to not feel them at all. what sort of effects are you having now? i know mine got worse before they started getting better. i bled for 4-5 weeks straight after i got it. but like i said before i got it 6 weeks after giving birth. so it could just be that plus the mirena. i had cramping for about a week and a half, but now nothing. i acutally just started af yesterday. it was heavy for an hour or so and now it's just spotting. but definately call your ob if you can't feel the strings. my ob told me to check for them every 4-7 days and if they're not there then to call him immediately even if it's 3 am and he's sleeping i have to call and make the answering service wake him up.
He didn't say anything.... then put it in and said come back in a month. I go in tomorrow for ultrasound. Still cannot feel strings and had some major bleeding and large clots. I know TMI but I have to go through it. Anyways Friday the doc was supposed to call in prescription for my infection I got since having it in (yellowish discharge) and she forgot. Well Monday was a holiday and they not in. Yesterday she was very apologetic and called them in and made appt for me for tomorrow. They are out today or I would have went in and yesterday I would not have made it in time. I have had quite a few issues with the office since I gave birth.... They say perforation of the uterus is very high while lactating and I think that is what happened. I was 6-8 weeks postpartum also and was not bleeding. I have had to quit breastfeeding due to infection and did not want baby getting it. I have bad (horrible) backaches, severe cramping, headaches, a rash that comes and goes on my face, arms and neck. Severe bleeding, infection, had every other day of nausea and vomiting with diarea. I have had it in 2 weeks tomorrow. I checked for strings but have not really looked for them. I figure they are there. My mom has had issue on birth control, my cousin got pregnant on Mirena and now I found out another friend aquantance got prego to on it. I guess they are all placement issues. It can be expelled anytime within the first year and few people notice it. That is scary. I have been wearing tampons and hope they don't get caught up with string. I have read to be careful with tampons (of course after the fact). I'll let ya know what happens tomorrow.
my ob told me that if the mirena falls out usually you can feel it. that and he told me to check after going to the bathroom to make sure it didn't fall out. if it did then not to have sex unless we use condoms. i did hear that if the mirena is placed wrong that increases chances of getting pregnant on it.

did you go in for an appointment? what did your ob say? is everything ok?
This is how I put it on another forum....

Just had another close call. Went to my appointment yesterday for ultrasound on Mirena and they could not find it. Had two techs looking. They thought it was in my uterus but wasn't sure. So saw doc and boy was that a PAINFUL procedure. He couldn't find it either. He decided to schedule me for surgery at 5pm yesterday- January 23rd- so I found a sitter and got a ride. They did test and it was negative (did it one time- was bleeding to bad to have it). The doc thought maybe it had went into my belly. It looked like a place was perforated maybe on the U/S. Well as anastesia was gonna take me the doc came in and ordered X-rays again. Had some done before going into surgery and he did not see it in there. Looked in my diaphram (chest area) and still did not see it. (also I was poked 4 times trying to get my IV in finally it went in). Was gonna get meds to knock me out and get tube down my throat. 6pm he came in and said it had to have fallen out. So long story short it is often they see my case in hospital but usually there pregnant already. So who knows when I lost it. My appt was in 2 more weeks to have it checked. I could of had another lil' one. Thats scary. I guess they can be expelled anytime up to a year from insertion and some people never know. Not to scare anyone... guess it wasn't for me. I'm back on Loestrin 24 (my fav) and antibiotics once again but I will be smarter about it! What a stressful, nervous ordeal of a day! I was scared! Also I have cysts on both ovaries and end of pregnancy I did not. Side effects are a joke!

My cousin got prego on it and you can see how it ended with my story. I never saw it come out- of course I wasn't searching till later in the process. Keep an eye on yours. I still feel like **** but bleeding has way slowed. Antibiotics are making me ill for some reason. And talk about being emotional lately. Since I got Mirena in I have been distraught.... I'm getting better slowly. Its crazy what hormones do to you....
wow. that's crazy. did they say why that all happened? did your doc put it in wrong? or did it just fall out? i'm glad that my mirena is actually working the way it's supposed to.
No reason- they can just be rejected. I think he did cause problems. I got this big infection the same day I had it put in. Still on antibiotics and have it still. To top it off, now i'm getting pneumonia. How can you get that when taking 2000mg of antibiotics. Maybe I have had it a while and its just getting taken care of. I need to find a new doctor to make sure its not still in there somewhere. BF mad I have to be on the pill now.... oh well.
if you're on antibiotics as well as b/c make sure you use condoms till you're off the antibiotics. i know that will cause issues and make the pill not work.

he must have done something if you got an infection. that's nuts. def go to another doc and ask TONS of questions about it. see if maybe s/he can clear up some thing for you. i haven't had any issues like that with my mirena. aside from the bleeding but i knew that was going to happen for 6-12 months. but for it to simply "get lost" like that...insane. i wonder if your doc knows he screwed up something and is just trying to cover his a$$ by saying it was just simply "rejected".
Ya something is not right. I still have some sort of infection. I thought he might try and cover up for sure. I still get pains in my leftside often. hmmmm.... I think it is up there somewhere. I just don't feel right at all. I hope I don't get sepsis or something. That would be scary.

Don't need condoms- I have the effectsw of Mirena!!! LOL. I know thats how I got prego in the first place. Did your back have sharp dull pains? Mine won't stop! ouch!!
no i haven't had any pains since i had it put in. i was sore and had af like cramps for a week then all gone. i occasionally get a little twinge of a cramp for about a second but that's it. i think my ob put mine in right. when i went back for my 6 weeks check up he said it was still in place and working right...obviously if i'm not pregnant. lol.

but my bleeding is starting to slow. my irregular spotting is far and few between. and my af isn't nearly as heavy or long as it used to be it's still 3-4 days long but that's a LOT better then before my af would last 6-7 days. i actually forget i have it in all the time. usually greg has to remind me to check for the strings. lol.

is your new b/c working out good?
It seems to be. I am only one week 2 of pills. No bleeding anymore. I need to find another OB soon. It has been a lazy week for me. To much going on lately. My back still feels like it is going to break in half and still have part of the infection. I was on the study pills for 3 years and my periods were pretty much notta with no cramps. I really liked it. Now its on the market and I have to pay them to take it LOL! Have you had a scare yet with the strings?
no i haven't had any issues with the strings. greg said that when we do the nasty between the sheets...lol...he can feel them but it doesn't bother him. it doesn't poke him so bad he's bleeding or doesn't want to have sex. i do hate the irregular bleeding and spotting. ***** butttttt i'm holding out for the day when i no longer have a period or it lasts for 1 day. i have been rather lazy and tired lately. but that could be from taking care of twins. i'm exhausted. other then that...alls well in my mirena land.

glad to hear that the new b/c is working out so far!!!
Yeah me to. You can have the strings cut shorter. Thats awesome you have twins. I have a reaaly good baby but still couldn't imagine taking care of two. Mine is really sick now. I heard the spotting can come anytime and when you least wish for it to happen. How long have you been on it?
it's hard having twins. really really hard. but looking at their cheesy smiles every day and hearing them "talk" is totally worth it. i love my little boogers to pieces. no matter how sleep deprived and crazy i'm going they're the best.

the spotting was horrible. and yeah it would just be like "hey, you doing something today and you don't have any back up....lets hit you now." but thankfully it's starting to stop. i've had mine since October. so almost 4 months now. and i still love it. the strings arn't too long and the dh doesn't even notice them anymore. i guess my doctor is just good at putting them in. of course 90% of his clientele are mothers. there were a bunch of us who had multiples in his (Well their office, there are 5 docs in my ob's office) office. and i guess the mirena is the most popular b/c he's been giving.