Blood Disorders Community
937 Members

Anemia after Surgery (but NO blood loss)

45 year old female.  I had a tonsillectomy in April for chronically infected tonsils.  (Should have had it done year ago!). Anyway, at my PRE-op bloodwork:

Hematocrit  = 38   (ref range for lab 36-46)
Hemoglobin = 13 (pretty much normal number for me most of the time).   (ref range for lab 12 - 16)

One week post-op I had my routine physical and my bloodwork showed (same lab for all tests):

Hematocrit = 35
Hemoglobin  = 12.3.  

Considering this was a very bloodless surgery (confirmed by my ENT), is it posible to have a drop in these numbers simply due to the healing process and the body trying to handle the post-surgical healing?  These labs were taken just 6 days post op.  It was an extremely painful recovery process (10 days of a severely painful soar throat that Percocet barely touched!)

My primary suggested a follow up CBC which I just did (5 weeks out from surgery):

Hematocrit = 36
Hemoglobin = 12.4.  

So my numbers came up just slightly.     I'm just curious if the healing process causes these dips in hematocrit and/or hemaglobin?

I should have noted that my PRE-op bloodwork was done 1 month prior to surgery. So my post-op bloodwork that was done for my physical was 5 weeks after the original bloodwork,, but only 1 week after surgery.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else