Blood Disorders Community
937 Members

Anemia and High Platelet Count

Hi. iam 27 yrs old. Female.
I had my routine check up today.
In my blood panel.My Hb:11.7mg/dl and Plts:508000cells/mmm3  No specific symptoms. Other CBC :Normal.
My History:
I am a non-vegeterian.
Have moderate-heavy  menstrual bleed.Also have a history of allergies( recurrent allergic rhinitis.)
I am currently on Tab,Esomeprazole 40mg OD for chronic Gastritis.
I donot have blood in stool and urine.
The high platelet is getting me worried.
What do you think the problem is? Does the medication I a taking or my hx of rhinitis and gastritis have anything to do with this.
Peripheral Blood Smear and stool for occult blood planned after few days.

Answer will be highly appreciated.
Hi!
Well, to find the cause, get the complete hematocrit done—MCV, MCH, MCHC, etc along with complete ferritin profile. At times low iron causes the platelets to rise. This can also be due to dehydration or an incidental finding. Repeat test after a week and see. If it remains persistently high, then it can be an inflammatory condition like rheumatoid arthritis or due to anemia or excessive alcohol drinking. It is also increased in some bone marrow disorders like myeloproliferative disorders (polycythemia vera, essential thrombocytosis, idiopathic myelofibrosis and chronic myeloid leukemia).
So, first see whether low iron is the cause and then all the above mentioned causes will need to be looked into. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else