Blood Disorders Community
937 Members

Anemia

I have been diagnosed with anemia by my doctor the other day. Apparently my hemoglobin levels were really low. She said I had really low iron levels, really low folate levels and my B-12 was low also. She's put me on 3 different tablets but I was wondering what the cause of being so low was. My doctor said I had to go back in a month but I've been experiencing a stiff neck that's painful to touch..I'm assuming they are the glands. It hurts to bend my head forward. Also I keep getting cramps in my arms. I was wondering if I should go back early or is it all to do with the anemia?
Charlotte
Stiff neck painful to bend forward and cramps in arms can be due to cervical spondolysis. This can cause compression of the nerves and hence pain and tingling sensations. Diagnosis can be confirmed by x-ray neck or MRI spine.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen or diclofenac. Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Cervical spondolysis also responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars.

If the symptoms persist then please get it evaluated from a doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else