Blood Disorders Community
925 Members

Can Beta-Thalassemia Minor have symptoms?

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with Beta Thallassemia minor by a doctor. All my life I have felt tired, had palpitations (When I was younger), flatulence and difficulty concentrating and fuzziness. I cannot really look people directly in the eye sometimes because its too hard on my eyes (it strains them) even though I have perfect vision. Doctors have told me that I need no treatment and that Thallassemia has no symtpoms. I go to sleep tired and I wake up tired. I can be tired after 12 hours sleep! Can I be suffering symptoms from my thallassemia. Does any one else feel the same way that I do? This is a little bit hard for me, but I don't want to complain.
I am in my early twenties and have had problems with being persistantly tired.  My hands and feet are almost always cold (in fact, they are right now), and I fall in and out of relatively mild depression.  I have been told that carrying the thalassemia trait has no obvious symptoms, but I've been poking around forums a little bit, and the symtoms I experience seem to be fairly common. I'm still looking for ways to lessen the intensity of these symptoms, but for me I've found that maintaining physical activity helps, as well as not oversleeping, or overeating.  The rest of my family takes folic acid suppliments regularly. God, puberty was a nightmare, but I am much less groggy and more in focus now that I am no longer growing. I'd like to hear other peoples' experiences with this.
You know I've heard multiple times about minor not having any symptoms and I beg to differ. It's really frusterating to hear that there is no help out there for minor patients yet as we must all be making up the same exact symptoms since the doctors all contest that their are no known symptoms for minor patients. I'm 18 and I experience excessive tiredness and also the cold hands and feet which I never quite equated with the disease until now. I also suffer from dizzy spells and I was wondering if anyone else also had these.
Hello All,

I am 27 years old.
I just wanted to say I totally relate to all of you.
I feel tired 24/7.
I get the common cold very easily and it seems to last forever.
If someone is sick and has a flu I'm bound to get it no matter what I try from herbal products to vitamins etc.
I get high fevers with the common cold.
I feel cold all the time.
I do get heart palpitations from time to time and they just come out of know where.
I do feel a tad frustrated as there is no drug for this condition.
A lot of friends and family do not understand this condition as a result can never understand/relate to me feeling the way I do.
#1 Always feeling tired.
I want to do things and go out and have a great time but there are times I have no control over it and I just need my bed and need sleep.
I find that this does not get better as I get older but has gotten worse.
I do relate and if any of you have any questions please feel free to add your additional comments  to this post and I will reply back to you asap.

leelee lulu
Hello All,

I am 27 years old.
I feel tired 24/7.
I get high fevers with the common cold.
I feel cold all the time.
#1 Always feeling tired.

leelee lulu
I am 41 and have Beta-Thalassemia Minor along with my sister, my son and my mother also had it. I know exactly how you feel~each day is a stuggle being tired. My sister and my mother were also diagnosed with a low thyroid. I just had blood drawn again and they said my TSH level was low. Tsh is your Thyroid Stimulating hormone. But they said when your TSH is low that is usually a sign that you have an overactive thyroid which symtoms of that are the opposite of what we have. My Doctor has ordered more tests so I am waiting. I asked my sister to read me her TSH level from her blood work when she was diagnosed & it is the same is mine. She had been misdiagnoded in the past.
I have been searching the web to see if there is a connection to Beta-Thalassemia Minor & thyroid. I have only found one that connected the two, but I am still searching. I will keep you all posted, it would be wonderful if we call feel "normal"
If you would like to e-mail me personally my address is ***@****
i have beta thalassemia minor. I do suffer symptoms related to those of anemia(including fatigue). My sleep schedule is way out of wack. some days i sleep three hours, other months twelve hours sleep days with unusual patterns that do not fit a time schedule. i may also have something called restless leg syndrome. i shake my leg a lot before sleep due to the feeling of tense inner strain in my ankles and wrists. i always thought of the shaking as due to my liking to be rocked to sleep by myself but now realize it could be due to low iron. thalassemics have low iron. i also had a psychotic break at age 20. i dont think this has to do with thalassemia but the constant fatigue may have led to deep depression.
Well its wonderful to hear that I am not alone in the world... I am 35 and have lived my whole life tired!!! When i gave birth to my first daughter at age 22... I ended up needing a blood transfusion... and not because I lost alot of blood... Our blood cells will break down under situations of extreme stress... yet doctors still continue to tell me that Thalassemia Minor should have no symptoms.... I am always tired god help me if I should run.. I get so out of breath so easily. I get heart palpatations off and on out of the blue, My hands and feet (mostly feet) are always cold!! I used to get bad headaches but not as much anymore... I inherited this lovely trait from my mothers side of the family (Italian)... Unfortunately I have given the trait to all three of my daughters..... I will tell you from my one and only experience with the blood transfusion that I went from my death bed to instantly energized.. I felt better than I ever felt or feel... It was a temporary fix and I soon returned to my tired self... I would like to know if anyone else has scoliosis? Thalassemia is known to cause bone diformity during your youth... just curious if any of you have this as well..... thanks and be well
Hello excuse my french I'm glad to see that I'm not alone Here in France the doctors don't want to believe me They said ther is no need to treat this anemia but me and my sister (italians)are always tired(insult lazy ...)and need more sleep hours I have palpitations and this is my lab results:red blood cells:6.67 tera/l(norm4-5,70)hemoglobin134g/l(norm140-175)VGM63(norm 82-97)CGMhb 31.9(32-36=TGMhb20.1(27-33)hypochromia and microcytosis in important proportions THANK you to tell me if my results are the same of yours MARC
I am amazed at what I am reading.  I am a 50 year old female and have been tired all my life.  I have always stayed up late and needed to sleep a lot during the day.  I have Thallasemia Minor and thought I was just lazy because the Drs. said it has no symptoms. I also had some depression and anxiety attacks. My dad, brother and son have it, too.  They don't seem to get as tired as I do, tho. I can relate to that vision thing, too.  I wear glasses, but sometimes I just have a hard time seeing clearly.
I am a 50 year old female with Thallasemia Minor. My father and brother also have this disorder. All of my life I have been plagued with tiredness and depressive symptoms. I now take an anti-depressant for the depression, which helps. The tiredness has contributed to a slow weight gain over the years from lack of exercise. I wish that someone could help those of us with this disorder to feel better on a daily basis. I have been warned to avoid iron supplememts as people with thallasemia minor can ingest too much iron and get toxic levels. You might want to consult your doctor before taking extra iron supplements.
RE:  Beta-Thalassemis Minor and Healing

Some of the solutions to the Beta-thalassemia issue are based on diet.  Eating rare red meat will provide the water soluble iron most needed in the high functioning systems of people with this condition.

Consuming rare cooked red meat, especially beef liver and other organ meat, will begin to heal a body that is non-alkaline.  The alkaline blood system has a blood tested pH of 7.2 or higher for the most energy possible.

Drinking 55 oz of water before one brushes one's teeth, and then no food or beverages for one hour, will begin to heal over  30 diseases.  

A diet of fresh raw fruits and vegetables will also provide that needed diet of 80% alkaline raw foods  needed to allow the body to heal from the inside  out.

Essential oils is another form to encourage the body to self heal.

I would offer this, those people with Beta-Thallassemis will feel more healthy if they increase the protein in their diet as  their brains tend to require more high protein foods.  

I would see these individuals with this condition as needing to rise in talents and gift development.  The key here is to let that "light" shine and use those intuitive abilities.

If one feels "stuck", or in a period of "stuckness", then these kinds of diseases will develop as a part of a rare kind of "mid- life crisis".

Study biofeedback, and using your body to heal from the inside out, and life will improve greatly.

I hope this has been helpful.

Love and light to your eyes and heart

Best Ken Bush

e-mail ***@****
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else