Blood Disorders Community
934 Members

Haemoglobin E beta Thalassaemia

Hello, I am from Bangladesh. My son's age is 5 and a half months. His blood report regarding Haemoglobin Electrophoresis report shows as follows:
Fraction        %    
Hb F            31.2%
Hb E            64.9%
Hb A2          3.9%

What does the result says? Is it a severe case of Haemoglobin E Beta Thalassamia or not? Mentionable that I am patient of Haemoglobin E diseases.......
Please make response..
Hemoglobin F is present in appreciable amount (after birth) if the baby has sickle cell disease or aplastic anemia. At 5-6 months, the level should be around 8-10%, so 31.2% is quite high. Since Hemoglobin E levels are high and you too have the Hb E disease, then id the Hemoglobin levels are low and baby has anemia, then yes the baby is suffering from HbE disease and thalassemia. If the mother too has HbE or thalassemia trait or disease, then the baby is likely to have severe form of it. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else