Blood Disorders Community
940 Members

High red blood count?

Hi, I had a blood test conducted back in August and according to the printout my red blood cell count is slightly elevated at 4.94 (normal range 3.80-4.80). This is the second time I've known this to be high yet my doctor doesn't seem to be worried about this. Also my blood viscosity/plasma has been high as well. Nothing else is abnormal apart from the fact that my TSH and Free T4 has been swinging in and out of range.

In May my FT4 was 10.9 (10-23) and my TSH was 22 (0.27-4.2) my TSH has since gone down after being on Thyroxine, with it coming back down to 4.

I am also hypothyroid, does this and the high red blood cell count have any known link?

Thanks for any help.
Hi!
High RBC are usually due to dehydration or low oxygen as in high altitudes and in lung disorders such as asthma. Congenital heart disease, some kidney problems and polycythemia vera are the other causes of increased RBC.
Hypothyroidism usually causes anemia. So, if RBC is high then other blood parameters such as RDW, MCV, MCH, MCHC should be done. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else