Blood Disorders Community
944 Members

How do I find out why I am borderline anemic?

I have done a CBC a few times and there seems to be a trend of low RBC and low Hemoglobin. I have also tested low a few times for WBC.

My doctor had me do an endoscopy and colonoscopy to check for bleeding/ ulcers but nothing was found. I am a 25 year old male and I have plenty of iron so I don't know why I have this condition. I want to know what I should do to find the problem and what I have to do to not be so tired all the time.

I have been thinking that there is an underlying disease. I do have GERD which could be a contributor, but I take medication for that and I feel that I get tired regardless. I have had times where I have neurological symptoms (unsteadiness, body pain, tingling, twitching muscles, weakness on one side of the body) but my doctor tells me she doesn't believe there is a neurological disease (I have had testing and the findings were not conclusive).

So I am left wondering, what do I do about the anemia?? It seems to be effecting me more than I realize and I can't just take an iron supplement like most people, so what do I do? Exercise? Eat certain foods? I need to change things to get my energy back.

Also, I peed blood about a month ago. Urine analysis done and nothing found. My urine is still heavy and dark and I feel the need to pee all the time.

Thanks for listening!
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else