Blood Disorders Community
944 Members

Odd array of symptoms?

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured here would make the most sense.

I am a 21 y/o white female, with a hx of Anemia, IgA Deficiency, and Raynaud's Syndrome. Past symptoms that flare from time to time, (usually together), are: intense joint stiffness and pain, photosensitivity, hair loss, migraines, fatigue, sore throats, swollen glands, generalized weakness, and more difficulty focusing and concentrating than usual.

I am currently on weight watchers, and have been maintaining a somewhat healthy diet, avoiding foods that are too greasy/fried/etc, and staying away from junk food except for on rare occasion. I only drink alcohol maybe once or twice a week, and only maybe a glass of wine at the most each time.

For the past week and a half, I have had moderate pain in my right side, starting up under my back ribs, and slowly gravitating towards the right iliac region. It settled there, and intensified to the point I could hardly move without the wind being sucked from my chest.

I had gone to the doctor one week ago about the pain, with mild concern over a few (3) bloody stools. There was obvious blood in the stool, as well as with one wipe. I figured it was enough concern for a visit. (These stools were maybe day 3-4 after the side pain began). They let me know that they wanted to follow up in a few weeks if the pain and bloody stool was still occurring, so they could do a few tests.

But once I couldn't even walk without feeling as if I was going to pass out, I decided to have my father drive me to the ER, in which they ran several tests: Pelvic Exam, Urinalysis, CBC w/diff, CMP, and a CT scan with contrast. Below my question are the results. No appendicitis, no gall bladder issues, but a few out of range values.

I was diagnosed with lower right abdominal pain, and the beginnings of a yeast infection, which the doctor says is just beginning and could not be the cause of my abdominal pain. He said to follow up with my physician for further testing.

Anything 'out of range' has been marked with **. I'm only listing the abnormal findings from the abdominopelvic CT scan.

CT Scan:

"The spleen enlarged at 16 cm in diameter."
"Impression: Splenomegaly. Small amount of free fluid in the pelvis with right ovarian structure likely representing involuting follicle."

Urine Macroscopic:

**LEUKOCYTES: SMALL**
NITRITES: NEGATIVE
URINE PH: 6.0
URINE HEMOGLOBIN: NEGATIVE
PROTEIN: NEGATIVE
URINE GLUCOSE: NEGATIVE
ASCORBIC ACID: NEGATIVE
URINE KETONES: NEGATIVE
URINE UROBILINOGEN: <2.0
BILIRUBIN: NEGATIVE
**COLOR: COLORLESS**
APPEARANCE: CLEAR
**SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.005**

Urine Microscopic:

URINE WBC's: 0-5
BACTERIA: RARE
MUCOUS: RARE
SQUAMOUS EP. CELL: 0-5

CBC w/DIFF:

WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT: 8.0
RED BLOOD CELL COUNT: 4.81
**HEMOGLOBIN: 11.3**
**HEMATOCRIT: 36.2**
**MCV: 75**
**MCH: 23.5**
**MCHC: 31.2**
PLATELET COUNT: 188
**RDW: 16.5**
% GRANULOCYTES: 59.2
% LYMPHOCYTES: 32.5
% MONOCYTES: 7.7
% EOSINOPHILS: 0.3
% BASOPHILS: 0.3
TOTAL GRANULOCYTES: 4.7
TOTAL LYMPHOCYTES: 2.6
TOTAL MONOCYTES: 0.6
TOTAL EOSINOPHILS: 0.0
TOTAL BASOPHILS 0.0

CMP:

SODIUM: 137
POTASSIUM: 3.8
CHLORIDE: 105
CO2: 25
**BUN: 4**
GLUCOSE: 85
CREATININE BLOOD: 0.7
CALCIUM: 8.8
AST (SGOT): 20
ALT (SGPT): 16
TOTAL BILIRUBIN: 0.6
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE:93
TOTAL PROTEIN: 6.7
**ALBUMIN: 3.6**
ANION GAP: 7
BUN/CREAT RATIO: 5.7
GLOBULIN: 3.1
ALB/GLOB RATIO: 1.2

If you have any idea what may be going on from this information, or if there is anything I need to be tested for additionally, please let me know and I will discuss it with my doctor.

Hi!
The causes of enlarged spleen have to be looked into such as are tumors of spleen, chronic malaria, tuberculosis or polycythemia vera (which is a blood disorder with high red cell count, so ruled out). Untreated or uncontrolled rheumatoid arthritis is a major cause for hyperspleenism. So, you need to test for it.
You have chronic or long standing anemia. You are probably losing blood in stool which you cannot see. So an occult blood test in stool should be done. The blood which you can see in your stool is probably due to hemorrhoids. However, you need to ask doctor about this.
The low albumin could be due to a low protein diet. Low blood urea nitrogen is generally not a cause for concern. It may at times be seen in liver disorders, mal nutrition or in over hydration. Low protein diet is another factor. Since urine specific gravity is low, you either have diabetes insipidus or are over hydrated.
You need to discuss all this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else