Blood Disorders Community
924 Members

Thin Blood, Difficulty Clotting?

I'd like to know what causes this, and is it dangerous?

I know I post alot, and, heck, have a whole ton of anxiety to deal with. Though, I actually have evidence of this problem and it is really beggining to worry me.

Since December, I have had on-and-off severe nosebleeds. They clot, kind of, but the clots don't stop the bleeding. There is also a ton of bleeding, and once one nose bleed has come they can come for days even if I just accsidently poke the outside of my nose. They are so scary to me. Luckily, I haven't had one since April-May time, so I stopped worrying.

My last blood test I had (for Thyroid) took ages to stop bleeding. I was a little confused, as it never happened before, and wondered if it was the nurse jabbing too hard. So, it stopped, and I remember my auntie gave me asprin the night before so that was probably why.

Then, today, I had another blood test. Same nurse, oddly. But it wouldn't stop bleeding for a while. It's quite an odd worry for someone who all ready has anxiety.

I was also brushing my teeth today and my gum bled. I know this isn't totally a sign, since your brush can catch your gum and all, but it bled quite alot, not simply a little red on the brush and the tooth.

I'm on a whole ton of medicine. I hope I can list it.
150mg p/d Levothyroxine
10mg Propanolo beta-blockers
15mg Cinnarizine for dizziness
20mg Omeprazole

I have finished the dosage for all bar the Thyroxine which is constant. I'm kind of on a 'take them if you need them,' period now, but I was taking them for about a month each, apart from the beta-blockers which was a week or 2. I likely took more around the time of the nosebleeds, but that was things such as ear spreays, nose drops etc because I had terrible migranes and pressure in my head and my doctor kept perscribing them. I took some heavy-duty antibiotics then that I forgot the name of, too. But that was months ago!

It's never been this way before. I've donated blood a few times, and had no problems with them taking under a pint. It didn't even dribble, really. So why now? I just don't know if this is something I have to resolve, or can resolve. How common, how dangerous, how to stop myself worrying... Please could someone help me? : (
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else