Blood Disorders Community
945 Members

Varicose veins - inner thigh pain

I have had a small varicose vein on my shin for years.  Suddenly, it worsened and a few more popped up, then a rather large, painful one appeared on my inner thigh almost over night.  I saw a vein surgeon, who did an ultrasound and determined the vein down my leg is in complete valve failure.  My insurance will not pay for ELT until I do a trial period of compression stockings for 8-12 weeks.  I am in so much pain, even with the stockings!!!  The lower leg feels better.  My inner thigh/groin area is very tender and I noticed a small bean sized lump near the crease of my inner leg, sort of where my underwear leg band passes.  It seems that is the source of pain and it radiates down and around the back of my thigh!!  Could this be the 'bad' vein or is it something else??  lymph node?   I have 7 more weeks before I return to the doctor to submit the procedure to my insurance for approval and the pain is wearing me down.  
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  A lump in the area you describe could be a varicose vein (since you are suffering from it) or it could be a swollen lymph node or a swelling caused by constant irritation. It can also be a localized collection or blood or hematoma. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this.
Other than this, massaging the legs in upward direction also helps in milking the blood upward (its normal route). Avoid things like alcohol, caffeine etc which increase the blood flow and tissue perfusion. Keep moving the legs at all joints to avoid venous pooling. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else