Blood Disorders Community
947 Members

What was the cause of your high hemoglobin reading?

High hemoglobin levels mean that measured hemoglobin levels are above the upper limits of normal for the age and sex of the person (see above normal values). For example, a 19 year old that has a detected hemoglobin level of above 17.7 g/dl would have a high hemoglobin level. Some causes for high hemoglobin levels are as follows:Living at a high altitudeLung disease (emphysema, COPD)CancerTobacco smokingBone marrow disorders (polycythemia vera)Overdose or inappropriate use of the drug epoetin alfa (Epogen, Procrit)Blood doping (increasing RBC's by using certain drugs)
I was once told by my internist that high or enlarged red blood cells indicated drinking too much alcohol. I do enjoy a few drinks each day and my hemoglobin does show high.
I am at work only in night 3 years all over, I work very hard. This may be the cause of my high hemoglobin, it is hard for me to sleep. I am irritable and sometimes I am in level of nervous state. When I have tried to sleep I keep thinking and remembering the past that never leaves my mind. It make me uncomfortable.
I had a miscarriage and I lost so much blood and passed solid clots the size of grapefruits over a period of a couple of hours to the point where I was so dizzy and lightheaded I couldn't breathe and started going in and out of consciousness. When the ambulance got me and took me to emergency I had a blood test and then 1 hour later I was admitted to hospital and they gave me a blood transfusion and an iron transfusion. The next morning had another blood test only to find my hemoglobin levels have gone even lower. And it's been nearly 4 weeks and my blood levels are still very low, I'm now also chronic anemic and still bleeding out small clots.
My brother has a result of 32 hemoglobin. I can't understand how it is possible and why!
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else