Blood Disorders Community
938 Members

high serum iron

I done blood test yesterday, my  serum iron is 30.3 umol/L   (10-30) , which is higher than lab recommendation.   Any impact on heal for people with high serum iron?  what food should reduce ?
If you have elevated Total Iron Binding Capacity, this will automatically result in low free iron in the blood. Hence if with elevated TIBC, iron too is high, it could be due to iron supplements you took if any. Another possibility is hereditary hemochromatosis, but in this case free iron levels are way too high. Third possibility is dehydration. I suggest you cut down on supplements if you are on any, take care to drink at least 6-7 glasses of water a day, and eat less of green leafy veggies, red meat etc and repeat the test after 14 days. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else