Blood Disorders Community
937 Members

low platelets

I had my blood work done and have a 73,000 platelet count.  Is this something I should worry about and how do I raise the count to a normal level?
Hi!
Yes, the count is low but not alarmingly low. However, since you have low platelets be vigilant about bleeds from gums, mouth, bruises, urine and stool.  The cause for the low platelet count has to be identified and treated; whether it is due to less production at the bone marrow or high breakdown or due to platelets being trapped in the spleen. The treatment will depend on the cause. Common causes are Vit B12 and folic acid deficiency, leukemias, lymphomas, decreased production of thrombopoietin by liver, Dengue fever, HIV, hemolytic anemias, etc. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!

Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else