Bone Cancer Community
147 Members

Pain in Left Hip; Lesion on Femoral Head

In 2009 I underwent a total hip replacement of my right hip due to osteonecrosis.  Earlier this year I started experiencing thigh pain on my left hip that is almost identical to the pain I had before the total hip replacement.  I consulted an orthopaedic surgeon who ordered an xray.  The xray showed that the femoral head had what looked like a diagonal flat stop across the top.  I was told that it was osteoarthritis and a pain medication shot was ordered.  I felt great for two days but then the pain was back.

I assumed that I needed a total hip replacement on the left hip.  The doctor agreed but then my insurance company put the brakes on this plan, wanting me to undergo physical therapy.  I did for three weeks and the pain got worse.  Finally, I ended physical therapy and decided to get a second opinion from the surgeon who did my initial hip replacement.  In gathering reports and the xray to take to this appointment I read that my left femoral head had a lesion that was "consistent with cam impingement.  The pain continues to be quite severe, especially while sitting or lying.  I'm convinced the problem is more serious than simple arthritis, and none of my other joints hurt.  Is the problem here osteonecrosis again (I was told the chances of the other hip failing were about 60 percent when I had the right one replaced) or should I be worrying about something else?

I don't know very much about what you are experiencing so my advice is very basic.

Trust your gut instinct... Sounds like you know your body, especially going through a prior hip replacement. I'm sure addressing any degenerative issues sooner rather than later, equals a faster recovery - and less pain!!

Push for further investigation until all your concerns are answered and you genuinely feel content with it.

Have a good evening,
Nat
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.