Bone Cancer Community
147 Members

Spinal sclerotic lesion

Hi!

I am a 73 old man in excellent health, except for  an enlarged prostate for which I am being followed.
In the wake of a bad fall on the ice last winter which has caused me a pulled back muscle and a lingering back pain until June, my GP has prescribed an MRI bone scan at the Nuclear Medicine Department of  a local hospital.. The scan has unexpectedly revealed a " T2 spinal sclerotic lesion with increased bone uptake" .  From the Internet,I now know what it means and I also know that in 50% of the cases it points to a malignant condition such as cancer or tumors , while in 50% it is benign.
I am due for an appointment with a bone specialist in a few days, but I'd like to  know preliminarily from you if  this sclerotic lesion does ALWAYS necessarily point to a pathological condition( either malignant or benign) or if it  can  also be a  non-pathological functional condition.  I have no more back pain now, I am fully functional  and I have been doing windsurfing the whole summer, but I wonder if this sclerotic lesion may not be a lingering consequence of a  possible vertebra concussion due to the fall. in addition to the now healed sprained muscle.If so. I wouldn't worry, in the absence of pain. Maybe at my age healing takes much longer than for a young man.  
Please note that my question, if you understand it correctly, is not at all a request for a clinical diagnosis.

Thank you for your comments

Ittiandro
Bone Cancer Community
147 Members
155 Questions
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.