Spinal sclerotic lesion

Hi!

I am a 73 old man in excellent health, except for  an enlarged prostate for which I am being followed.
In the wake of a bad fall on the ice last winter which has caused me a pulled back muscle and a lingering back pain until June, my GP has prescribed an MRI bone scan at the Nuclear Medicine Department of  a local hospital.. The scan has unexpectedly revealed a " T2 spinal sclerotic lesion with increased bone uptake" .  From the Internet,I now know what it means and I also know that in 50% of the cases it points to a malignant condition such as cancer or tumors , while in 50% it is benign.
I am due for an appointment with a bone specialist in a few days, but I'd like to  know preliminarily from you if  this sclerotic lesion does ALWAYS necessarily point to a pathological condition( either malignant or benign) or if it  can  also be a  non-pathological functional condition.  I have no more back pain now, I am fully functional  and I have been doing windsurfing the whole summer, but I wonder if this sclerotic lesion may not be a lingering consequence of a  possible vertebra concussion due to the fall. in addition to the now healed sprained muscle.If so. I wouldn't worry, in the absence of pain. Maybe at my age healing takes much longer than for a young man.  
Please note that my question, if you understand it correctly, is not at all a request for a clinical diagnosis.

Thank you for your comments

Ittiandro