Bone Marrow Transplant Community
16 Members

Can Bone Marrow examination be done in case of low platelet count

Hello....My mom has been suffering from anaemia from a very long time.For about the last seven years(2005-12) she took B-Long,alpha-d3 and Livogen tablets everyday along with decadurabolin injection once every two months.Last year suddenly her platelet count dropped down to 41000 /cu mm  because of liver infection due to chronic hepatitis b(infected since birth).She went to a haematologist who prescribed her to take Lamivudine 100,Cheri tab,folvite and becozinc caps. everyday.Her liver condition has improved but the platelet count is still about 60000 /cu mm,TLC-2700 /cu mm.She has never carried out a bone marrow test(none of the doctors have recommended till now).Now my question is that can there be any adverse effect if my mom undergoes a bone marrow test with such low platelet count?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I don't think a bone marrow biopsy will adversely effect her, but probably best to ask her doctor.  I have never heard of that before.  The amount of marrow they remove is so small I can't imagine it causing any ill effects.

A BMB is really not as horrible as some may think.  I had one done a few years ago and it was a lot better than I had imagined.  I think as long as you have a doctor that numbs the area very well and who has experience doing a lot of them, then she will be just fine.  I remember being a little sore in that area for a couple of days but nothing major.
Thank you for your reply.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.