Can Bone Marrow examination be done in case of low platelet count
Hello....My mom has been suffering from anaemia from a very long time.For about the last seven years(2005-12) she took B-Long,alpha-d3 and Livogen tablets everyday along with decadurabolin injection once every two months.Last year suddenly her platelet count dropped down to 41000 /cu mm  because of liver infection due to chronic hepatitis b(infected since birth).She went to a haematologist who prescribed her to take Lamivudine 100,Cheri tab,folvite and becozinc caps. everyday.Her liver condition has improved but the platelet count is still about 60000 /cu mm,TLC-2700 /cu mm.She has never carried out a bone marrow test(none of the doctors have recommended till now).Now my question is that can there be any adverse effect if my mom undergoes a bone marrow test with such low platelet count?
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I don't think a bone marrow biopsy will adversely effect her, but probably best to ask her doctor.  I have never heard of that before.  The amount of marrow they remove is so small I can't imagine it causing any ill effects.

A BMB is really not as horrible as some may think.  I had one done a few years ago and it was a lot better than I had imagined.  I think as long as you have a doctor that numbs the area very well and who has experience doing a lot of them, then she will be just fine.  I remember being a little sore in that area for a couple of days but nothing major.
Thank you for your reply.