Borderline Personality Disorder Community

16 yr. old rage, coma, seizure, acting out??

My 16 yr. old daughter's behavior of lying, defiance and rebellion has progressively grown worse over the past 3 years. We have been going to counseling the past few months, things seemed to be improving.  This past month we had an episode that escalated into a physical altercation between my daughter and her father.  He slapped her on the side of her head and a few seconds later she sat down on the ground and then lay down. (She did not fall)  She has done this in the past in public where she will sit down when she is not getting her way.  She has also had blackouts when our arguments have gotten heated at home and she is acting out.  She will then go limp for a few seconds and then she is calm and remorseful.

This most recent incident, we were unable to get her to respond.  We had to get help to put her in our van.  I took her straight to the ER, thinking she was “faking” or on drugs.  After about 2 hours and a blood test and CT, she was still out.  She was admitted to the PICU and had an MRI and EEG.  All of the results were good and normal except the EEG.

After a visit with her neurologist, we were told she has a seizure disorder.  Her seizures are not noticeable to someone looking at her, they are not normal epilepsy.  She has significant spikes in the left temporal lobe.  The neurologist put her on anti-seizure medication.  The next week she went to camp and ended up punching a girl.

This past week, she was mad at someone and at the same time, disobeyed me and I grounded her.  She went into a complete rage.  When I went to talk to her and tell her that her behavior was unacceptable, she was still crazy.  She came after me with a pair of scissors and my husband had to restrain her until the police got here.  While restrained, she was screaming so loud and would not stop.  The police came and handcuffed her until the EMT’s came.  She was once again unresponsive and in a coma state.  They took her to the ER and she was out this time for 5 hours.  

Each time, her heart rate was way above normal and she did not (could not) respond.  The EMT’s thought she was overdosing.  Once again, all tests good and normal.

She is now at an inpatient facility and the only answers I continue to get is that she is throwing temper tantrums and is very good at controlling herself and acting.  I have a hard time believing this.  Any other possibilities?

** She has also gone through an eating disorder and cutting herself phase, neither of which were extreme cases. I took her to her doctor on both occasions and she felt like it was nothing to be concerned about.  She was still very healthy and the cuts were only surface, more like scratchs. Maybe for attention or because her friends did it and it was the "in" thing to do. **
I'm not sure what could be going on.  My recommendation would be to have her assessed by a psychiatrist or a ?neuropsychiatrist.

They could be pseudo seizures.  Or vaso-vagal attacks.  ??
I saw a documentary a while back where some people were being quite aggressive but were actually in a sleep state.  Then they would be normal then back to the sleep.

Just wondering if the hitting could have been due to a drug reaction or drug allergy.  ??

It sounds as though she does have an emotional regulation problem but it is hard to say whether the behavior is primary or secondary to a seizure disorder, etc.

I guess doctors would have picked up a tumor or ?? someone I knew had a brain thing.  I think it had to do with a ventricle in the brain.  I can't remember what it was now.

BPD with dissociative periods due to extreme stress.  ??  Could she be depersonalizing?

Acting out is done when one feels unheard.  If this is the case then listening to her concerns may be helpful.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Thank you for the information.  I had actually researched the pseudo seizures last night, but there are spikes in her temporal lobe, so I don't know.

I looked up the BPD  just now and that sounds like exactly what it could be.  I spoke with her neurologist today and she seemed to think it was psycological.  We have a counseling session on Monday with my daughter and her therapist.  Hopefully we will find out more at that time.

I do want to try and find a neuropsychiatrist, I do not believe that all of this has nothing to do with the temporal lobe abnormality.  

I am going to keep pushing, researching and asking questions until we get some answers and get on the right track to help her get better.  She has always been such sweet, quiet, kind hearted child.  I am just so scared for her, I want her to be happy again.
As any good parent would.  I would recommend posting on the mental health expert forum but the doctor has been away and I see that another one will soon take over.

There is also a neurology expert forum that may be able to offer additional advice.

At the exclusion of anything conclusive I would opt to treat the life symptoms.  
It sounds to me that some family counseling could help. If your daughter only has her "seizure" during times of emotional family arguing and fighting then it sounds more like an emotional response. It is possible she is faking it if that's what the inpatient doctors are saying, but it could VERY WELL be an emotional/stress response. Conversion Disorder is an emotional disorder where people "convert" psychological fear into real physical symptoms, such as paralysis. This can happen with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) as well.  It doesn't sound like anti-seizure medication is the right treatment/diagnosis, nor does it sound like she has a physical disease. I honestly would work on family counseling!! And trying to improve family relations, as she sounds like she is going through a very sensitive stage in her life. And cutting and eating disorders are actually serious! Hope this helps.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.