A
A
A
Close
Borderline Personality Disorder Community
1.45k Members
1370534 tn?1279514204

Medication

The more I have read, the more convinced I am that I have Borderline Personality Disorder. I have seen many therapists and they all believe I have a personality disorder of some kind, but they have never been able to pinpoint exactly which one.

I have been on many medications for depression. They work for awhile, but they never seem to get at the heart of the matter. Many of them just stop working after about 8 months.

To those of you who are living with BPD, what kind of medications are you on? What have you found to be helpful in your treatment?

Thank you so much.

Lisa
5 Responses
Hi.  Just briefly.
I have found lorazepam useful.  I generally take a low dose for a short period when I am extremely stressed and not sleeping well.

Therapy wise I found psychoanalysis the most beneficial.   I had a good therapist and was receiving 2-3 therapy sessions per week.  It sounds like a lot but it is what helped me.

You can look up the individual diagnostic criteria for each personality disorder in the dsm-iv.
1370534 tn?1279514204
Thank you for the suggestions.
You're welcome.  I hope you found them useful.  Getting an accurate diagnosis can make a huge difference to treatment and prognosis/ quality of life.  Treating your symptoms should help you.

I still think therapy is the single most important thing in recovering from bpd.

dbt skills training is also helpful, to varying degrees, for those with bpd.
I have BPD,and have found DBT to be very helpful. As far as meds go, I take Ativan, Abilify, Lamictal, Seroquel and Prozac.
1370534 tn?1279514204
My psychiatrist is going to put me on an anti-psychotic (a mood stabilizer) along with my anti-depressants. I'm hoping this will help to control my terrible mood swings. I always feel like I am on an emotional rollercoaster...

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.