My husband doesn't get it either. I love to hold hands, hug, and kiss other than sex and we talk about this in marriage counseling. Somehow it doesn't stick. If you get an answer I would be happy to know this as well
You're not alone. One of the definitions from the DSM around BPD states that disorder involves unusual levels of instability in mood; "black and white" thinking or "splitting", which creates chaotic and unstable interpersonal realtionships, self-image, identity and behavior: as well as a disturbance in an individuals' sense of self.
One of the books/articles I read said that people with BPD tend to seek out more - in a job or relationship, etc. This often leads to them leaving a job/relationship after 3-5 years because they feel something is missing or that they've been slighted in some way - ignored, hurt, etc.
From a relationship stand point you can look at it from the 80/20 rule. No relationship is 100% perfect. I think the best you can hope for is that it meets your needs 80% of the time. One of the issues with BPD is that we sometimes focus on the 20%...something in us drives us to that - regardless of the other 80%.
DBT is a popular thearpy for people with BPD because it teaches you to think in the moment. to stop what you are doing as soon as you recognize that it is wrong - and think about it, then do the opposite. Yes, easier said than done. Then there is the psychoanalysis side of therapy that wants you to analyze why you need this attention in the first place - is it something from your past/ did not get this as a child? etc.
I don't think there is one answer for any one. For myself, I think the answer lies somewhere in between. You are at a spot where you've recognized what you want from this other person and what's missing in your relationship with your BF. You should ask yourself why do you feel you need this. Is it something you've always felt important because you didn't have it in the past...or is it that you had it in the past and don't now? Even though your BF is great in all other ways - is the attention and contact something that is really higher up in your needs scale than you thought before?
That information alone might help you view if you are in the right relationship, is there a way to change your partner, or can you do without/change yourself to do without.
When you recognize yourself in a situation with someone else...stop and think...be mindful. ask yourself if this is really what you want now and for the long term. Ask yourself who this going to hurt - whether they find out or not - because in the end, you have to live with it in yourself...so you need to be able to handle that.
A bad trait of BPD is that even if you are mindful and know the consequences to yourself and others - that "black and white" or splitting thinking comes in to play. you seperate yourself and your relationships and tell yourself it's ok - that one relationship has nothing to do with the other. That your actions have no impact on anyone but you.
I think it's safe for me to say I've ruined every relationship in my life because of this disorder - companions, friends, family. I can not blame the disorder alone, but it is a monster - like BiPolar - that is at times hard to contain...but you have to try. The consequences of not trying to find why you need what you do, how you control/meet that need can quickly lead to depression which has it's own destructive side affects.
Hope this helps in some way.
Great question, SurvivingBPD321
Great answer, BeeKeeper
Men are different to women..... When the **** will women accept this.. Doesn't mean we live you less..
My gf of 7 years broke down and told me I do not show that I love her and appreciate her.
I am a 25 yer old entrepreneur who has invested the last 7 years of my life Into building a life for us In Sydney... Where a one bedroom apartment 20 mins from the city costs 550k...
In this day and age , you cannot apply more pressure onto your men! They will end up leaving for for a women who gets it..
Gee, I have literally set a reminder in my phone to make my gf feel special appose to waiting for those special moments to occur naturally as they should.
You will regret the attention you are receiving when this new guy sleeps with you and drops you!!! Stay with your man and love him just for being there. Its a big thing in itself..