Borderline Personality Disorder Community

knowledge me

what is BPD exactly and can people with Bipolar have BPD? I've messed up all my relationships with love and hate and torn them apart without even knowing until things blow up in my face. I think, I am a bad person. I don't have friends because no one is good enough to be my friend, I've pushed my family away and seclude myself from them. I've read up on BPD but I am Bipolar too and thier are some slight differences between them. can someone explain it to me
Borderline Personality Disorder is a complex illness in which has 9 criteria in diagnosing.
As found in the website: http://www.palace.net/llama/psych/bpd.html
I took the liberty in pasting those 9 for you below~

DSM-IV criteria
The DSM-IV gives these nine criteria; a diagnosis requires that the subject present with at least five of these. In I Hate You -- Don't Leave Me! Jerold Kriesman and Hal Straus refer to BPD as "emotional hemophilia; [a borderline] lacks the clotting mechanism needed to moderate his spurts of feeling. Stimulate a passion, and the borderline emotionally bleeds to death."

Traits involving emotions:
Quite frequently people with BPD have a very hard time controlling their emotions. They may feel ruled by them. One researcher (Marsha Linehan) said, "People with BPD are like people with third degree burns over 90% of their bodies. Lacking emotional skin, they feel agony at the slightest touch or movement."
1. Shifts in mood lasting only a few hours.

2. Anger that is inappropriate, intense or uncontrollable.

Traits involving behavior:
3. Self-destructive acts, such as self-mutilation or suicidal threats and gestures that happen more than once
4. Two potentially self-damaging impulsive behaviors. These could include alcohol and other drug abuse, compulsive spending, gambling, eating disorders, shoplifting, reckless driving, compulsive sexual behavior.

Traits involving identity
5. Marked, persistent identity disturbance shown by uncertainty in at least two areas. These areas can include self-image, sexual orientation, career choice or other long-term goals, friendships, values. People with BPD may not feel like they know who they are, or what they think, or what their opinions are, or what religion they should be. Instead, they may try to be what they think other people want them to be. Someone with BPD said, "I have a hard time figuring out my personality. I tend to be whomever I'm with."
6. Chronic feelings of emptiness or boredom. Someone with BPD said, "I remember describing the feeling of having a deep hole in my stomach. An emptiness that I didn't know how to fill. My therapist told me that was from almost a "lack of a life". The more things you get into your life, the more relationships you get involved in, all of that fills that hole. As a borderline, I had no life. There were times when I couldn't stay in the same room with other people. It almost felt like what I think a panic attack would feel like."

Traits involving relationships
7. Unstable, chaotic intense relationships characterized by splitting (see below).
8. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

Splitting: the self and others are viewed as "all good" or "all bad." Someone with BPD said, "One day I would think my doctor was the best and I loved her, but if she challenged me in any way I hated her. There was no middle ground as in like. In my world, people were either the best or the worst. I couldn't understand the concept of middle ground."
Alternating clinging and distancing behaviors (I Hate You, Don't Leave Me). Sometimes you want to be close to someone. But when you get close it feels TOO close and you feel like you have to get some space. This happens often.
Great difficulty trusting people and themselves. Early trust may have been shattered by people who were close to you.
Sensitivity to criticism or rejection.
Feeling of "needing" someone else to survive
Heavy need for affection and reassurance
Some people with BPD may have an unusually high degree of interpersonal sensitivity, insight and empathy
9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

This means feeling "out of it," or not being able to remember what you said or did. This mostly happens in times of severe stress.

I have heard people state they had both Bipolar as well as BPD. However, I believe both diagnosis/ share many common symptoms and the absence of one or another can lean more in either direction. I am a researcher (independently of my own experiences), writer, blogger and long time BPD sufferer. My opinons are my own and you should always check with a mental health professional before making decisions on your health.
Feel free to contact me for questions, support or any other information regarding BPD you would like to discuss. You can follow my blog  notalone-chloejane.blogspot.com  I'm also on twitter @chloezone    Hope this helps you with what you are searching for.

Thanks for the info. I am going to see my psyciatrist soon because I destroyed another relationship and I do relate to most of the symptoms you posted above. SOMETIMES and I stress that because I loved him but only when I wanted to, making me feel like a user later on. Criticism or gossip behind my back, really ticks me off. I am always paranoid that someone is talking about me. one day I love him and can't get enough of him and the next is like get the bleep out of my house and the next day I had no remorse and called him to come back. I don't have any friends. Sometimes I dont't know who I am because I change personalities and I don't know what I want. 1 day I am full of ideas and plans and the next I just don't care. I wish I was dead, I think about it but I never do it. So, like now I don't know who I am or what to do. I look in the mirror and see Blah. someone who can really hide it and people see a happy person thats not their. I do meet all the criteria and never realized it till now. One day I saw na Ad and I looked up BPD and their it was, ME. so I am going to see my specialist to verify that it is BPD. Just another disorder to add to the list
Reading this post has really worried me. Out of these 9 I experience 7/8 of them. is it possible to have the symptoms and not have bpd?
Back in 2007, while hospitalized for self-mutilation. I was told I had BPD, however I was never actually diagnosed with it. The hospital printed out a good amount of information about BPD for me though. It's hard but it isn't the end of the world, unless you allow it to be.

I am wondering though, I've heard that medication helps deal with it better, is this true? Does anyone know what types of medication helps with BDP?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.