Brain & Body Fitness Forum

Uncontrolled head shaking when concentrating

Hi all, my bf of age 31 was noticed to have involunteer head shaking movements when he is:
1. Eating
2. Thinking
3. In stress

I am worried as he do not have any head shaking habits at any other times, head shake only when concentation is needed. Is there any underlying pathology like Alizemer or neuro issues? Please advise. Thank you.
Hi there and thanks for posting this question!

Number one I would go to a neurologist and check extensively if there are any abnormal functioning in the brain. Stress and Anxiety can contribute to some additional stress and the body can respond in strange ways like developing a habit or a tic of shaking head but maybe not, maybe is more serious or maybe is nothing so that is why you need to rule out serious neurodegenerative diseases like you mentioned.

Now tics normally develop in early years. Tourette syndrome (also called Tourette's syndrome, Tourette's disorder, Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, GTS or, more commonly, simply Tourette's or TS) is an inherited neuropsychiatric disorder with onset in childhood and it is expressed in chronic tics. Probably a neurologist can help you if that is the case or why it has developed at this time but again i would recommend go to the doctor and get a serious examination

Meditation and exercise can help but if you clearly see a more frequent abnormal response like you say i would go and check it right away.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.