Brain (Cerebral) Aneurysm Community
229 Members

Ischemic stroke?

Jq, my twin sister is 24, she just had a similar stroke like yours a couple years back. She started with a real bad headache and then couldn't feel her left arm or leg, she's in intensive care now. She's had a procedure to take blood thinners to the brain to releave the clots in her brain and it seemed to be working buy just now she had a seizure and an emergency ct scan was done that shows bleeding in the brain where the clots were and in a new location in the center of the brain, the doctors said they have no choice but to keep her on blood thinners to keep her from getting more clots, but normally a person that had bleedin in the brain would not and should not be on blood thinners, this as you can see is very serious. I want to know what your procedure was like, please get back to me on this.  I need something to go on. Some one help me!
Hey sister
I,m sorry about your twin,I know how tramatizing this can be.I was 43 and had a very   serious stroke due to sjogrens/lupus. I was on thinners for in hospital (3 months) and take asprin etc. daily.The drs. put me on pulse steriods for the inflamation. I couldn't talk  and    graduated from wheelchair,walker to cane and now walking.
I not quite sure if I understand? What was the cause of her previous stroke?  Was follow-ups done. I would advise  you to take notes while talking with the Drs. Make footnotes to the questions you would like to be answered. If your not satisfied ask again. There should be someone from the local heart and stroke center,you should express your urgancy and ask to speak with councellors they should explain things easier than the Docs do.In my case they are very helpful!    I've been very blessed, Keep your chin up. Just keep on top of things!
Good luck and be positive. And remember always be positive in front of her. It was very helpful to even hear positive feedback,even when people didn't think I could hear. I sometimes could. I felt more assured with the positives. Good luck Twin! I sure you guys will be fine Stay Positive
Thank you strawdy, your comment helps, my sister is now a week in the hospital and she's regaining some ability to talk, write, and movement of her arms and legs,. At times I feel so scared and feel like breaking down and crying. I feel like I annoy her soo much and I wish that I didn't, but I try to help her with her recovery too much I think. :(  she has been stable these last couple days, so she has stayed on a blood thinner, they want to give her an oral blood thinner and keep her in ICU for a few more days. How should I encourage her to eat? To speak? And stay awake?
Hi sister
  It sounds things are going real well. I totally can feel for both of you. For me the worst part was the frustration. Remember encouragement is important, but try not smother her. She needs to try to work things out for herself if she can. I remember trying to get the words out, and people would finish my concepts for me. When I could speak more It was a lot better when I told my family to be patient, and I would ask for help to get the words out if I needed. My biggest inspiration was my 3 boys (20, 18, and 9) I had to get better.And don't cry in front of her. Be her rock! Try to be positive and still caring. I know its hard. She so sounds like me. I remember not beingable to talk, thinking Ahh I can write things down. Then when I forgot how.  I gotta go. It still takes me a long time to type the concepts out.   I talk again. I'm kinda worried about my MRI finding,and need to get some things on the go. Its a slow go,be patient. Ask her what she wants before you do it for her. You inspirational tools read stories,Give her a Worry rock. I got one to rub away the problems. Tell her your talking to me I give you  insirational stories about myself.

talk to later Mel
Hey sister
There is a song called  'fall into me' by sugarland. I remember waking up and seeing  my  ex husband I cried like a baby.  My little sister was  going through the same things that you are now.  It was a real journey but is definatly achievable to rehabilitate. Sometimes I still  get frusterated with speech,etc. But I still keep telling myself "It could be worse". This  song still makes me cry, and still gives me hope. It suppose to be a religeous song,but I related it to life experiances. Hope you like it. And think you being a twin you'll get it!                 It will be okay!

Mel
I wish she was still getting better. My sister is more critical now. Please pray for her and my family. I hope and pray to god I have better news. Thank you for your words
hey sister
I,m sorry, I will pray for you guys and will tell my family to do so as well. Be strong, And keep talking to her,keep reassuring her. Remember try to be her rock. I'll keep think about you guys.

Mel
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease