Brain Health Community
673 Members

severe stroke

my dad is in coma for 90 days he is 67 years old he had a stroke in the left side of  brain in 13-12-2013 and in 14-12-2013 had a brain surgery (doctors cut a piece of his skull and put it in his belly to reduce the pressure) his conscience level is 4 to 5 out of 15 his brain damage in the next day to stroke was about 90% of the left side , he's in icu since then he respond to pain by some face movements related to pain was moving  his right arm and leg now he dont even move them>
my question is
1- will he ever regain conscience?
2- if not how long can he stay with us till he pass away?
he's from Egypt  and finally doctors tells us that conscience level will not improve
he never had any surgery before stroke and the only thing he diagnosed for was high blood pressure 6 months before stroke and he dont smoke
he was a soccer player
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your father’s medical problems. Recovery from stroke depends on how soon the blood vessel could be opened by thrombolysis and if at all it could be opened. The area and severity of infarct, the severity of underlying condition and general condition of the patient also govern recovery process. In your father’s case things appear to be serious. So, it would be best to be in touch with his doctors and take the day as it comes.
Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.