Aa
A
A
A
Close
Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
2.19k Members

High Prolactin, Depression/No Sex drive/Fatigue but no tumor, HELP

i have High Prolactin at 1,700 (the top of reference range here is 580 for non-lactating women) which I believe, is the cause of my long-term clinical Depression, Low Sex drive and chronic Fatigue. I am 40-year old, healthy/normal weight, female (never pregnant) otherwise, and not on any medications this past year.

I read this is caused by a benign Pituitary tumor (which I do NOT have after doing MRI) or Dopamine-supressing medications (which i do NOT take), or Stress. I cannot believe that my level is solely caused by Stress (i am not particularly stressed at this time).

Chronic depression with minimal help from SSRIs has led me to thinking it is all due to low Thyroid, however, since high Prolactin increases depression and fatigue, I want to get treated for this also. Could anyone enlighten me here?

Since I have no tumor, will an endo prescribe Dostinex?? I am trying to get pregnant and cannot stay at this level of prolactin.
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
Have your pituitary MRI's been dynamic pituitary scans or regular brain MRI's ?  Have you had a surgeon look at the scans? Are you being treated at a pituitary center?

I would find a special is center and make sure you get a proper scan and have proper people looking at the scan and your tests.

There could be multiple issues at play and unless you have a competent endo, you won't know.  I have pituitary issues myself with thyroid and prolactin and prolactin can be raised by many many things so it takes a bit of investigating.
Have an Answer?
Top Cancer Answerers
Northern, NJ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.