Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community

High Prolactin Levels on Blood Tests - 19-year old Male

Came here for advice/seek opinions. I recently went for a blood test with my endocrinologist and got my blood test results back.

Prolactin is at 491.9 MUI/L and Reference Values are 86.0 to 324.0.

I went there with concerns of low libido, lack of muscle growth (I weight train a lot), mood swings, social anxiety, depression, and just lack of energy/motivation. I thought I originally had low testosterone but the test results reported back normal for those.

What do you think? Advice? Is this high? Is one blood test usually accurate?
COMMUNITY LEADER
It is an accurate test - but you need more testing (ack!) to know if the problem is pituitary or something else. It can be pituitary, or it can be thyroid, medications or something else.

So the doc should send you to a neuro-endo at a pituitary center. The next step should be more lab testing and a pituitary MRI (which is dynamic - contrast given and images taken during uptake).

Get copies of everything and let us know how it goes.