Near-Future Treatment Options for Hippocampal Injuries

This post is motivated by the requirement to improve my cognitive performance following hypoxic injury to my hippocampus. My job is in software and have spent my entire life working to be competent in this field, I have nowhere else to go should I fail in this arena.

From the research I have read, repair of hippocampal injury would require two processes : 1) the inducement of neural stem cell / progenitor cell production and 2) the functional integration of these cells into the existing hippocampal structure. I have read of clinical trials involving new compounds promised as "highly neurogenic" (http://www.braincellsinc.com/pipeline/bci-224). This prompts me to ask two things :

1) Is the current pharmacological state-of-the-art expected to yield a wide array of products that will activate neurogenesis at levels required for structural restoration sometime in the next five years.

2) After neurogenesis, is further intervention required before the new cells become a working part of existing morphology (i.e., ready to begin forming synaptic connections, etc.)

Thanks very much for your expertise,

Joel
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0