Weight gain after brain surgery

My 2 year old had brain surgery in July 2008 to remove a cavernous malformation.  She was hospitalized for 14 days.  She was not on any medication when she was released.  She started gaining weight rapildy since the surgery and is still gaining, 15 months later.  She went from 24 lbs upon admision to the hospital to 50 lbs as of today.  Our family Dr. has referred us to a Pediatric Endocrinologist.  Our daughters lab work revealed low levels of IGF-1.  A stim test was done to check for growth hormone deficientcy.  It came back positive for low growth hormone, but since she is still growing, we are in a monitoring phase before starting growth hormone.  Meanwhile my daughter continues to gain weight and no one can explain why or stop it.  She has weakness on the right side of her body and particiaptes in both OT/PT.  The excess weight affects her progress.  She is 37 inches tall and weights 50.2 lbs.  I am greatly concerned about her weight gain and would appreciate any information you can give me as to a cause and/or solution.  
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
The pediatric endocrinologist should do a full hormonal work up for your daughter, and will hopefully find the reason for the weight gain. There are many hormonal conditions that can cause unusual weight gain, including low thyroid function and glucose impairment. She may need a lot of tests to get to the bottom of it, but an endocrinologist should be able to find the answer.
Low growth hormone has a lot of the same symtoms as Cushing's syndrome - but they have to do a full work up to rule in and out what is happening as she may have multiple issues.

She needs to see a pituitary doc - make sure you get copies of everything and ask questions.