Aa
A
A
A
Close
Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
2.19k Members

excessive weight gain after vp shunt

My 12yr old daughter at the time (June 2012) had gone through her 2nd Chiari 1 Malformation decompression w/metal mesh removal@ base of cerebellum, (5days) later external shunt, (2days) later internal shunt, (1month) shunt revision w/ shortening of shunt, and finally in (Dec 2012) shunt removal.  After her shunt placement my daughter started to blow up! For the first 4months after she was gaining 20+ pounds every month then finally stopped putting weight after shunt was removed and gained a total of 130lbs on top of her normal weight of 120lbs.  She has fought to loose weight, she now has lost 60lbs on a meal replacement plan and with the help of Dr. Ziltzer.  A plastic surgeon Dr.Parsons has now given the ok to proceed with an abdominoplasty(standard), brachioplasty(bilateral),lipectomy medial&lateral thighs, and lipectomy arms.  Insurance will not cover!! We need help, our daughter has admitted to causing herself harm!!!!! do you know of any foundations or any resources that can HELP, PLEASE!!!!!!!!  
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am not a doctor, but has she had her hormones checked? I had weight gain like that when I had Cushing's. If she is on steroids, or if she has a tumor that is not being picked up (they can be tiny), it can happen.
Have an Answer?
Top Cancer Answerers
Northern, NJ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.