hypothalamic glioma Vs pituitary adenoma

Is it possible that hypothalamic glioma be misdiagnosed for pituitary adenoma?

I was diagnosed by pituitary adenoma but then another doctor has suspected its actually hypothalamic glioma. How can I be sure what its actually is?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
I would think hormone tests would tell you if you have the pituitary vs the glioma.

But then again, you would not be the first person that had more than one issue.

This is what I found on hypothalmic gliomas:

"In children, most hypothalamic tumors are gliomas. Gliomas are a common type of brain tumor that results from the abnormal growth of glial cells, which are a type of cells that support nerve cells. Gliomas can occur at any age, but they are often more aggressive in adults than children.

In adults, tumors in the hypothalamus are more likely to be metastatic (resulting from the spread of cancer from another organ to the hypothalamus) than they are when they occur in children.

People with neurofibromatosis (a hereditary condition) are at increased risk for this type of tumor in particular, and those who have undergone radiation therapy are at increased risk for developing tumors in general.

* Cachexia (loss of body fat and appetite)
    * Euphoric "high" sensations
    * Failure to thrive (lack of normal growth in children)
    * Headache
    * Hyperactivity

Such symptoms are most frequently seen in children whose tumors affect the anterior (front) portion of the hypothalamus.

Some tumors may extend to the visual pathways, which can cause loss of vision. If the tumors block the flow of spinal fluid, headaches and sleepiness may result from hydrocephalus (collection of fluid in the brain).

Some patients can have seizures as a result of brain tumors. Other patients may develop precocious puberty or elevated prolactin levels."

I don't know your age or situation, but I would go to a center of excellence if this is suspected.