stage 1 breast cancer and menstrual period.

is a women's menstrual cycle affected or change due to breast cancer? i am 53 yrs of age. i was dx with stage 1 breast cancer two months ago. though i am under a doctor's care, i have not yet received any treatment, which is due to my own fears. i have had a regular mentrual cycle since age 17. my cycle began but it looks very different from my normal periods. it is very dark brown in color and mainly spotting at this time, i am in my second day. the medications that i take have not changed in 2yrs. can you please provide me with information in answer to my question? thanking you in advance for your help, patty.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Stress and anxiety are of course known to effect the menstrual cycles of many women, although this apparently has not been your experience to date. Given your age and the changes in the quality and quantity of the flow you describe, another likely factor might be peri-menopausal hormone fluctuation, which can result in scant periods, extra heavy periods, and missed periods, before menopause is ultimately reached.  But if you are very concerned about the changes you have noticed, it would not hurt to see your GYN., and perhaps have a hormone assay.

But if you don't mind some unsolicited advice, I would be more concerned about your  getting started with treatment for your breast cancer...

Best wishes...
Oops, typo; that should have read, "affect the menstrual cycles...."