Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
524 Members

Testing for brain tumors

Since Herceptin cannot prevent brain tumors how often and how should one be tested. I have taken Herceptin for 8 years.
I think 'usually' they order a CT scan only if you have symptoms, i.e. nausea, headaches, confusion, other mental symptoms, or recurrent ear problems, and that sort of stuff, but not routinely.
(and only if the symptoms cannot be explained by other causes)

I am not sure if you actually had brain mets or not, as what I said above is more true in the case when you have never been diagnosed with such already. if you have been treated for brain mets then I would think they may observe you more closely and do CT scans on a more regular basis. They may also do an MRI but I am more aware of people getting CT scans.

Hope this helps, Katrin
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.