Type of cancer

I've read that a better prognosis is given where the cancer is ER/PR positive HER negative.

Is this different/better than ER positive PR negative HER negative?

Once you've moved to stage 4 is this still relevant (ie Is it better to be ER/PR+ HER-)?

Why is HER+ considered to give a worse prognosis?  As I understand it new drugs are coming on line to tackle this so presumably this will improve?

I have also read that the worst prognosis is given when the cancer is "triple negative".  Is this worse than ER/PR negative HER positive?

Are there any studies/papers/statistics on any of this?

Nigel
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
ER/PR positivity is better than ER/PR negativity, because presence of these receptors renders the patient sensitive to hormonal manipulation by drugs like tamoxifen, Anastrazole, and Letrozole.
The presence of HER2/Neu positivity means that the patient expresses high levels of a receptor belonging to the EGFR family. This worsens the prognosis.
SOme more information is available here: http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/what_is_it/hormone_role.jsp?gclid=CP2pxaXegJICFQUZewodzzhX4A
Helpful - 0
Hi Bobby1973

Thank you for your feedback.  Much appreciated

Regards

Nigel

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.