Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
529 Members

shingles vaccine

Hi, I have DIC and is on my 3rd chemotherapy treatment.  I had chicken pox as an adult.  Should I risk participating in a blind study for the shingles vaccine or go ahead and ask for the real vaccination (dead virus)?
Honestly if you're immunocompromised I suggest not doing the study. If you are not, I suggest asking your oncologist first.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Shingles vaccine is a live vaccine and is not recommended for people who are undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Previously, the only vaccination available for shingles was Zostavax, which is an attenuated live virus vaccine, contraindicated for patients with immunodeficiency or immunosuppression. The more recently approved Shingrix vaccine is a recombinant protein and can be given to patients with cancer even if they are receiving or have recently received radiation or chemotherapy. Please see CDC web site for more info: https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/vaccination.html
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.