Dennis, MD

I have Stage IIIB metastatic ductal carcinoma.  I was on Armidex and had to swith over to Tamoxifen.  I understand that somewhere down the road I can get ovarian cancer as a result of the treatment. If I have had a complete hysterectomy, can I still get this kind of cancer from the treatment.  And how far down the road can this occur?  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi.
Early-stage breast cancer includes stage I, IIA, and IIB.
Locally-advanced breast cancer includes stage IIIA, IIIB, and IIIC.
Metastatic breast cancer is stage IV.
Helpful - 0
Is StageIIIB considered early or borderline on advanced.
Helpful - 0
Hi.
Just want to clarify that metastatic breast cancer is stage IV based on the TNM staging (any tumor size, with or without regional lymph node involvement, with presence of distant metastasis).  A stage IIIB would mean T4N0-2M0.
You are currently on tamoxifen.  This is one of the systemic hormonal treatments in breast cancer.  One of the side effects of tamoxifen is endometrial cancer.  Since you already had a hysterectomy, you are not an increased risk anymore of developing endometrial cancer.
As for your question on ovarian cancer, there is a risk if you have BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carrier.  According to several studies published the lifetime risk of developing ovarian cancer for BRCA1 mutation carrier 16-63%, while that of BRCA2 mutation carrier is 10-27%.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.