hysterectomy vs. tamoxifen

I was diagnosed with pleomorphic invasive lobular carcinoma  4 node pos.ER and PR pos.stage IIIA July '08. I have since had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate tram reconstruction followed by 4A/C, 4 taxotere and 33 radiation therapy treatments. I am now on tamoxifen and have been experiencing depression, extreme fatigue( weakness) with any physical exertion other than just walking. Is a hysterectomy a better alternative to taking tamoxifen or would I still need to take it?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Having a hysterectomy would have nothing to do with your taking Tamoxifen or not. The ovaries are the Estrogen producers so unless they were removed the hormone would still be produced.  Regards .....
Helpful - 0
having a complete hysterectomy including ovaries would eliminate estrogen producers therefore would tamoxifen be needed?
Helpful - 0
It would no doubt be another medication rather than Tamoxifen but that would be at the discretion of your Oncologist and his/her routine for post menopausal women.   There are other sources of Estrogen in our bodies (even in what we eat) than the bodies normal prodution.   Regards ....
Helpful - 0
HI - this was a long time ago but I just got back to this site - I had a complete hysterectomy last Sept and they still make me take Femara - I was on Aromasin - hated it - and then back on tamoxifen but it interferes with my anti-depressant so now I'm on Femara - If your Dr,'s are anything like mine- you will be on something for a long time - and they aren't fun but better than the alternative - stay positive, Ellie
Helpful - 0
I had a bilateral mastectomy also, and the doctor put me on tamoxifen, and had terrible side effects. If you have a history of high triglycerides or cholesterol, please be careful of taking this medication. Now the doctor wants to put me on arimedix, which I am very leery of! Now they found a fibroid on my uterus, so have to go to the OBGYN to see if she recommends me to go on arimedix or not. Sometimes I wonder if the doctors really know what they are talking about? Stay positive and we are all sisters!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.